Sunday, November 7, 2010
Something you may not know Sunday! Safe Celebrations
Since the holidays are coming quickly, I thought I would share this article on being safe during celebrations which I found in the December 2009 issue of Parents magazine.
Before you light up the house, take these precautions from Chrissy Cianflone, director of program operations for Safe Kids U.S.A.
-Keep flammable materials, like hanging stockings, at least three feet from an open flame.
-Don't throw your wrapping paper into the fire. It may contain toxic or explosive chemicals.
-Make sure your chimney is cleaned annually and that you have a carbon-monoxide detector.
-Place them (and matches) out of your kids' reach and 12 inches from anything flammable. Blow out candles before leaving the room.
-Never set them on a tablecloth--your child could pull on the bottom and cause an accident.
-The safest bet is to use flameless candles.
-To avoid overloading the voltage, don't connect more than three strands of mini string sets or more than 50 screw in bulbs.
-Choose lights with an independent testing lab seal (look for "UL").
-Never use lights on a metal tree; it's an electrocution hazard.