Monday, September 27, 2010
Money Saving Monday! 33 Ways to Get a Great Deal!
I found this article, 33 ways to get a great deal, in Better Homes and Gardens July 2010 issue. I will be doing this one over a 3 week span. Here are the first 10 :)
We love a sale!
1. Get to know a clerk who can tell you when merchandise goes on clearance so you can mark your calendar.
2. When does it go on sale?
Appliances: Holiday Weekends
Cameras & Camcorders: February, March
Carpet & Flooring: January
China and Flatware: March, September
Computers: August, December
Cookware: May, June, December
Dining Furniture: October, November
Electronics: Spring and early summer, also Black Friday and Cyber Monday
Furniture: January, July, holiday weekends.
Holiday Decor: Day after the holiday
Mattresses: May through August
Patio Furniture: After Labor Day
Plants, Trees, and Shrubs: Fall
Small Appliances: December
Snow blowers: April
Televisions: Early spring, also six to 12 months after a particular model is launched
Vacuum Cleaners: April, May
3. Many online retailers offer a deal of the day, usually in limited quantities. Check dodtracker.com for a listing of daily deals from around the Internet.
4. The longer an electronics product is on the market, the better your chance of finding it on sale. Check the date the first review appeared (search for "review" and the product name) or its "first available" date on amazon.com. If the model you're looking at was introduced more than six months ago, you can probably find it on sale.
We love the web!
5. Private, invitation-only online sales are the latest thing. For example, become a member at onekingslane.com (it's free) and you could score high-end home decor items for up to 70% off retail prices. On Saturdays, check out their designer-curated online tag sales.
6. ShopGoodwill.com is like eBay only more addicting. It features a huge selection of artwork, decor items, and housewares for just a few bucks.
7. Find the best price using a shopping aggregator site like Flit.com that does the work of comparison shopping for you. It samples prices at several different e-commerce sites and lead you to the best buy.
8. Search online liquidators such as nobetterdeal.com--a site that sells returns and overstock from big retailers.
9. Make your purchase through ebates.com to get cash back from more than 1,200 top retailers. Most stores offer between 2% and 7%, some more.
10. Become a Facebook fan or Twitter follower of your favorite stores and brands. Many of them announce exclusive offers this way.